If you needed a four-wheel drive truck back in 1956, there were only a few options available. They usually required a third-party contractor, like NAPCO, which would take a new pickup and convert it with special axles, special gearing, and a transfer case – just the thing for clawing up mountains for firewood at a snail’s pace.
This Ford F-100 is a rare machine, in that it was converted into a 4×4 by a company called American Coleman out of Littleton, Colorado. This company started converting Chevrolets in 1947, but soon after was working with all domestic trucks. According to the seller, most of the trucks handled by this company were for the mining industry, the military, or for fire departments. And because of the work those trucks typically did, they tended to be heavier-duty rigs than this half-ton F-100. By 1956, American Coleman was pulling out of this segment of the market, due to the increasing availability of factory-built 4x4s. So this could be among the last ones the company produced.
The seller says the truck was built for a wealthy rancher in Breckenridge, Colorado, as a hunting rig. It was black from the factory, and apparently had three rifle racks mounted inside, which the seller removed when he bought it. It then underwent a mechanical restoration, which included an engine rebuild, front and rear axle rebuilds, new springpacks, a transfer case rebuild, all new brakes, and more.
Cosmetically, it was more or less left alone, as it was still going to be used as a truck. There is some body rust, so that needs to be taken into account before bidding. But overall, it does look pretty solid, and it should be a great driver thanks to all the work already done.
Click the link to view the listing: 1956 Ford F-100